Friday, February 24, 2006

Organized Yet?

So much for getting organized. My wife is working her butt off these days, teaching a night class and caring for our three-year-old daughter full-time during the day. That means that I, naturally, am working my butt off, since my wife and I are "in this thing together" and all that sort of thing. ;-) So gaming, right now, is taking somewhat of a back seat.

But only somewhat. Here's a few thoughts.

In two weeks we head down to Bellingham, Washington, where my wife's family live. There is a used book store there that eagerly pays cash for used RPG stuff, including out-of-print games. I'm going to take down a HUGE load of my AD&D 2e and D&D 3e stuff and just dump it. Give me cash, baby. Because I've realized that my D&D game of choice is -- trumpets, please -- Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert D&D (with a liberal dose of Gygaxian goodness in the form of the AD&D 1e books, which I mine for monsters, spells, magic items, etc.).

So that's one good thing planned.

Here's another: after a three-year layoff, it's time for me to re-enter the wild world of video gaming. I'm going to take the ton of cash I get in Bellingham and buy a PlayStation 2. I had an Xbox back when my daughter was born, three years ago. I sold it after changing a few diapers, thinking--correctly--that I wasn't going to have time for video games for awhile. But that time has come.

What about the Xbox 360? Or the upcoming PS3? Nintendo Revolution? Bah. I'm not interested in forking over the GDP of a small country just to have the "latest cutting edge thing". Give me a PS2 and a HUGE stack of cheap bargain-bin classic games, and I'm good for years, baby. I've often done this in my video-gaming history. I bought a Super NES shortly before the PlayStation came out; I bought a PlayStation when the PS2 came out, etc. Sometimes I get the Big New Thing--I bought a Nintendo 64 the day they were released--but I'm not in that mode right now.

I've already got my list of games: (1) Resident Evil 4 (EEEEEEK!), (2) Silent Hill 4: The Room (DOUBLE EEEEEEK!), (3) Ratchet and Clank (gotta have a cartoony platformer), (4) Crash Bandicoot Racing (whatever it's called on PS2; the Ps1 game was called "CTR: Crash Team Racing").

I'm pumped.

So, one insight into my current state of gaming: Basic/Expert D&D and PS2. I also want to learn how to play poker. More on that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home